Monday, 30 December 2013

A look a genre and sub-genres

http://text2mindmap.com/Dyy7iT

Above is a link to a mind map about genre I recently made, it looks at a few main genres and their sub-genres respectively, whilst also giving examples; this research will help me decide which genre I should do for the opening. Although logic dictates that it should conform to the sub-genre that I know the most about, there by it would be easier isolate the conventions of that genre and emulate them. So just by looking at the mind map the section with the largest amount of stems is the horror section, this then gives me quite a few sub-genres to play with, however for me personally I prefer films that mix genres this allows for unconventional plots that can still shock viewers well versed in the cliches and conventions of certain genres.

After stating this, it's pretty obvious that I will try to emulate this with my own opening.


Films that mix genres:
  • Repo Man - A punk atomic age-esque sci-fi comedy based on the noir classic "DOA" with a twist; this all amounts to a strange viewing experience that has a fantastic ending.
  • Southland Tales- Another sci-fi genre mix, whilst it follows the "end of the world" type satire very reminiscent of "Dr Strangelove", it also takes pot-shots at every aspect of the "LA lifestyle" circa 2008, it takes it's character roles from the Bible and has an out-of-the-blue musical number.
Information for the mind map came from wikipedia and http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SurrealHorror

No comments:

Post a Comment