Wednesday, 12 March 2014
Production Company Ideas
My ideas for the production company logo and name come directly from the "abstract" look that I want the film opening to have, hence "abstract productions". The name was fairly tricky considering the nature of the film opening, as typically with films in the horror genre they feature very graphic names for their production companies, such as "Bloody Disgusting"and "Yer Dead", along with quite graphic images for logo (an example would be "Bloody Disgusting"'s logo, which features a skull with a circular saw blade slicing through it), though this is appealing for the target audience, unfortunately, the secondary audience (composed of mainstream viewers) tend to find these to be discomforting.
This can be juxtaposed with film companies with more insightful names that give them a more professional sound, these include Quentin Tarantino's "A Band Apart" and Kevin Smith's "An Askew View". So, to cater for both the audiences I have gone for "An Abstract Production", this I think does represent the film opening in a fair way, as it isn't a hardcore horror flick deserving of production company name drenched in blood and bile, and yet it isn't fully a mainstream or art-house film, so by terming it an "Abstract Production" it is in keeping with the unusual visual style, and yet it also keeps in with the fact that it can't be fully slotted into one specific genre (although the target audience will still pick it up, as horror fans generally hunt down films with a bizarre style that offer something different from the glut of Hollywood remakes and have potential to be future cult films, example 2012's "John Dies At The End"-though the film still has to have horror elements).
As for the logo, I created two designs , firstly I drafted an image that looks typically like a modern art painting, which fits in with the "Abstract" name, and I also made one that drew influence from the title sequence of David Cronenberg's film adaptation of "Naked Lunch", to create an "abstract" image.
This was my first attempt at designing a production logo using photoshop, this took direct influence from the title sequence from "Naked Lunch", even going so far as to call it a "mugwump" production after the creature in "Naked Lunch" (I toyed with it for a while but went back to the idea "abstract" idea). This was mainly because I really thought that it captured the spirit of what I was trying to do with "abstract productions", and this sort of art typically has abstract connotations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment